Key point: The reduction at source of noise pollution from our construction equipment.
Worksites in dense urban areas, and in Monaco in particular, can cause a lot of disturbance to local residents. This subject is now a vital issue for current and future work.
Following actions by the authorities to adjust working hours and large-scale but often inefficient deployment of noise-barrier tarps, we decided take much more efficient action by tackling the problem as close as possible to its source:
- Use of less noisy methods
- Modification of machinery to reduce their noise impact.
At Testimonio II, for example, the Soletanche Bachy technical and equipment teams have developed and implemented:
- The Compact Electric Hydrofraise with Grippers® – HC05GE (a first in France and Monaco).
The improvement recorded by Bureau Veritas, appointed by the Monegasque authorities, is 5 to 6 dB (A) compared with competitor’s compact machines, corresponding to a four-fold reduction in noise impact. In fact, since the grippers add more power to our compact Hydrofraise®, it can be compared to the most powerful machines on the market, against which Bureau Veritas records a difference of up to 15 dB (A) in favour of our HC05GE.
These two innovations, particularly the HC05GE, have made a profound impression on the technical services in Monaco since nuisance reduction is an important topic in the Principality.
- The use of gripper on the Hydrofraise® greatly reduces vibrations when drilling in blocks and therefore reduces disturbance to local residents
- Installation of acoustic protection for the vibrating sections of the drilling mud treatment plant
- Removal of the wall rubble collection hopper
- Cladding of drill rigs (head and engine)
- Protection of the Starsol® F2800 rig’s drilling head using noise-barrier tarps
- Use of a special tool to empty pile rigs’ buckets
- Systematic installation of the “Lynx call” alternative reversing signal on equipment
- Installation of very high and very effective noise-barrier fences and tarps wherever possible around the perimeter of the project by the VINCI Construction teams